In December, 1912, a group of 14 ladies met at the Eighth Street and Mill Avenue Schoolhouse to form a Mother’s Club. There are no minutes from that meeting, but about a month later, on January 24, 1913, the club formally changed the name to Tempe Woman’s Club. Their first constitution and bylaws were drafted and the club motto was adopted, which is still in use today:
In Essentials, Unity
In Non-Essentials, Freedom
In All Things, Charity.
The Tempe Woman’s Club continues to be a thriving and important organization dedicated to community improvement by enriching the lives of others through volunteer service. Our many projects include participation in the following program areas: Arts and Culture, Civic Engagement and Outreach, Education and Libraries, Environment, Health and Wellness, Domestic Violence and Sexual Awareness Prevention, Advocates for Children, Legislation and Public Policy, Fundraising and Historical.